We've been working on two main things since we returned from break: sentence of the day and Regents review. Sentence of the day has been a killer. I provide students with incorrect sentences. They correct them, then we discuss the corrections as a class. Typically, there are many corrections, but only five or six skills taught in each sentence. The skills loop, so students have many chances to learn a particular skill. This week, for example, we've covered dialogue (punctuating, beginning a new paragraph and capitalizing) and the i-before-e-rule. There have been other things here and there, but these two skills are what we've hit...repeatedly. (Oh! I forgot to mention that the sentences, when put together, form a story. Students make decisions about current sentences based on previous work.)
On Tuesday, several teachers (including myself) indulged in a wallow of self-pity. Wednesday (today), I resolved to be more positive. I can't help the students I have - they are who they are. I need to remain positive and helpful as much as possible. My new self-resolution lasted until third period when I had to remind no less than four juniors that sentences begin with a capital letter... and their juniors' response? "Oh! Thanks! I forgot...sorry."
You're 16 or 17 years old and you FORGOT to begin your sentence with a capital letter?!?
I'm ranting again...sorry.
On to Regent's review. We've been covering the Critical Lens essay this week. In the critical lens essay, students are given a quotation about literature and asked to interpret the quotation, take a position (agree/disagree) and then support their position using evidence from two novels or plays of their choice. We've been practicing the Critical Lens essay in a shortened format since September (the quotation paragraphs). I'm not sure how students are feeling about the CL. I know they're a little intimidated, but I think they'll be able to do it. They've read several sample essays and we're discussing the scoring tomorrow. I'll also be assigning an essay for them to write as well. I'm hoping that they read the sample essays and feel a little more confident. I have several students who are capable of a 6 (mastery) or a 5 (simply fantastic), but I'm worried that I'll have several students who score in the 2 or 3 range (miserable/failing). In past years, students have already been able to write at the 4 level (passing) and I've just had to make sure they followed directions. This year, though, students are reluctant to exert ANY type of effort whatsoever. I guess I'm worried that they'll put forth minimal effort (as usual) and then fail the midterm. That would suck (for them).
On the bright side (if you can consider this a bright side...), maybe they'll fail now, realize that to pass they have to write well, pay attention and work hard during second semester, and then pass the test!
On the brighter side, maybe they'll just fail the homework assignment, have the previous epiphany, and then pass the midterm AND the final.
On the brightest side, maybe they'll all have the previous epiphany TONIGHT and do well on the homework, midterm AND final.
I'll let you know...
observations
Priceless quote #1 from JR - "But why can't you just give me the answer?" Answer: Well JR, if I give you the answer, you won't lurn nuthin. If I give you the grammar rule in question and then ask you to apply the rule to your question, you'll be more likely to internalize the process (question, rule check, answer) and less dependent on my vast store of knowledge.
I'm finding that more and more students are disconnected from my class. I'm busting my butt to find things that are relevant, fun, or have real-world application (exception: the Regents review is none of these) and the students are disconnecting more and more. It's not so much that I want students to LIKE my class; it's that I want them to feel like they've learned a LOT. I do want students to like the class, but that becomes irrelevant when they're not learning anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment