Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Journal 12-2

English 11
Not much on tap for class today...

Three students have requested writers' conferences...

I've been working on my transcript analysis of the tape I made last week (students peer editing sessions), and I've found something interesting. Students on the tapes don't say much - the peer editing seems to be a bust. However, I need to look at their reflective journal entries and their essay grades to see the big picture.

Observations
Students today were very quiet; most had their homework done. I returned essays to my 2nd period today and there were some people who had their feelings hurt by the grades. I gave a big speech about using the craft lessons in their writing and that their essays weren't THAT bad, just kind of meh. I'm hoping to see students after school about ways to make "meh" into "fantastic!"

reflections
I talked to a student today about his grades from a nearby school district - he reported that he struggled in English. Yet here, he's one of my best students! I'm guessing it's because he had good teachers (of course!) and also because he had a wide range of abilities in his classes. He's also one of the few students actually applying the writing lessons to his work! Because today was so blah, there's not much to report. I should have more to say tomorrow and Friday when students begin working on their Episodic Notes for The Crucible.

No comments: