Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Journal 1-2

English 11

Today we worked on out quotation paragraphs again, then we finished the Venn diagram and moved on to actually reading a story. I asked the students to do two things as they read: first, keep the qualities of a creation myth in mind as they read; and second, choose six quotations that marked opposition in the myth, copy and then cite them. 2nd period had a little difficulty getting started, 3rd period did better, but in 5th period, I noticed a definite trend. There are three students in that class that do not want to work. Their avoidance strategy is to question me incessantly. If they are asking constant questions, they're not having to read! It actually worked for seven minutes (I timed it) before I caught on. The question that tipped me off: "Are we going to have to run sprints if we don't do our homework?"

reflection
What I noticed today was that I refine as I teach. I got through everything in 2nd period with 20 minutes to spare (for reading), but the students seemed really confused. They didn't really know what I wanted them to do, and they weren't entirely clear about what opposition was. I answered questions individually, but I'm not sure I got to everyone before the end of the period. 3rd period, I tried to pre-answer the questions by discussing "opposition" and its different meanings and then looking for and example on the first page of the story. Once students found an example, lightbulbs started coming on all over the classroom. I did the same thing in 5th period, but 5th period, as I noted earlier, had a couple of kids who just didn't want to work. It took me a while before I figured out that the questioners DID know what do do, they just didn't want to do it. I also noticed a seating pattern in the class - the whiners/complainers sit on one side and the workers sit on the other, as far away from group one as possible. I'm wondering if I should change the seating arrangement... There was no opportunity for reflection today, but I really want to use it on Friday when the students bring their completed quotation paragraphs to school for peer review.

English 12
I actually had the handouts prepared for class today, so we were able to go over my expectations for the journal responses that are due on Friday. I've tried in the past to do daily journal responses, but I really don't have the time in class (only 38 minutes per period) to allow the students to write for 10 or 15 minutes every day. The journal response seems to fill that need, as well as the need for writing lessons. Mowhawk Boy asked for help right away - he said that he didn't really have anything to add to his journal prompt, but after a little questioning, he realized that he had only told the first half of the story and needed to go back and finish up. After journal responses, we worked on filling out the rest of the college application and then we moved on to reading a couple of sample essays. I want to use the sample essays as a model for good writing, and also to show that you don't have to write about deep or meaningful topics to have a good essay. The two essays that we're using as exemplars are about hating your mother and loving your grandmother. Both topics are easily accessible to the students.

reflection
I noticed today that Miss Pony-tail was revising!! I was so happy! When Miss Pony-tail came to me a year ago, she could barely write a complete sentence, now she's using the class time to make some changes and then continue writing. I'm so proud!! I WILL have this group of students reflecting on their work this week. There were a couple of complainers again, but today, the girls told them to "Shut up! SOME people want to learn!" I was proud of Stubborn Boy - he didn't dig his heels in. He wasn't happy, but he didn't spend the class trying to get out of doing the work. I'm concerned about a couple of the boys who really feel like this class isn't going to do anything for them. I want them to just trust me and I'll teach them, but I know that they can't. So many of these kids have had so many negative interactions with adults that they automatically distrust instead of trust. I can only lead by action, because there's no way they'll trust my word.

No comments: